Housing Ventures Trust


You can arrange to have extra rubbish, bulky waste and white goods removed from your home.

Removal of extra rubbish and bulky waste

Bulky waste includes items of furniture and equipment that you would normally take with you if you moved house, such as a wardrobe, TV or bed.

Is there a charge?

Yes. There is a charge for this service. Up to 8 items can be collected per collection.

To arrange a bulky waste collection, please contact South Tyneside Council's Customer Contact Centre on 0191 427 7000 or do it online.

Arrange a bulky waste collection online


You can now recycle more than ever thanks to the council's kerb-it recycling scheme.

What can I recycle?

The Recycling Village, Middlefields

The Recycling Village at Throckley Way on the Middlefields Industrial Estate has replaced the old Civic Amenity Site at Middlefields depot.

There are now more containers on site to collect a wider range of materials than ever before.

Fly tipping

What should I do if I see someone dumping rubbish?

We want estates to be clean, attractive environments where people want to live. If you find rubbish dumped in a communal area or you see someone dumping rubbish on your estate let your estate officer know. With your help we will prosecute people who dump rubbish and make our estates cleaner and nicer places to live.

Car removal scheme

What should I do if I think that a vehicle has been abandoned near my home?

If you suspect that a vehicle has been abandoned on a public road or public open space the council may be able to remove it. You can contact the Customer Contact Centre on 0191 427 7000 for advice or to report an abandoned vehicle.

What will you do about abandoned vehicles?

Abandoned vehicles (cars, caravans etc.) reported on the public highway are collected after a statutory notice has been affixed informing the owner that the vehicle will be collected if it is not removed. These vehicles are disposed of in a local scrap yard.

Will the council help me get rid of my unwanted vehicle?

Yes. Householders who wish to surrender their vehicle to the council may do so and the cleansing department will arrange its free collection and disposal.