Housing Ventures Trust

Your right as a secure tenant

As a secure tenant, you have the right to:

Live in your home for as long as you like

We will not interfere with this right unless you break any of the rules in your tenancy agreement or any of the other reasons for possession apply.

Have your home kept in good repair

You have the right to have most repairs carried out by us.


If a tenancy holder passes away, in certain circumstances a tenancy may be transferred to a spouse or civil partner. This is known as the right of succession. Please be advised that there can only be only be one succession per tenancy.

Your husband, wife or civil partner has the right to succeed your tenancy provided there has not been a previous succession.

You can also, if you wish to do so, assign your tenancy to a member of your family who would qualify as a successor in the event of your death. This is known as an assignment of tenancy.

You should contact your Neighbourhood Officer if you want to know whether this right applies to your tenancy.

Take in a lodger

If have some spare space in your home you can take in a lodger. A lodger is someone who shares your home as part of your household. You do not need our permission to take in a lodger but you should let us know.

You must take care not to overcrowd your home. If in doubt contact your Neighbourhood Officer for advice.

If you are receiving housing benefit, you must tell the Benefits Agency that you have taken in a lodger as it could affect the amount of benefit you receive.

Sub-let part of your home

You have the right to sub-let part of your home but you must get our permission in writing to do so. We cannot refuse permission unreasonably and if we do we must write and tell you why.

If you do sub-let your home without our permission and your sub-let tenant applies for Housing Benefit, their claim will not be processed until you have received our written permission. You must not sub-let the whole of your home.

Carry out home improvements

You have the right to carry out repairs and improvements to your home but you must get our written permission first.

You must complete an application form before you make any major or structural alterations to your home, including:

If you are not sure whether or not your proposed alterations need permission, please complete the form anyway. If our permission is not needed we will let you know as soon as possible.

A surveyor will visit your home to assess whether permission can be granted and you will be informed in writing.

Take part in managing your estate

There are several ways that you can take part in managing your estate. You can join a local tenants' group or you can ask us to help start one, attend one of our Focus Groups or simply give us your views through one of our consultation exercises.

For more information please contact your Neighbourhood Officer on 0300 123 6633.

You can also help us improve your local area by joining your Neighbourhood Officer on an Area Walkabout.

They offer you the opportunity to look at the area where you live and report any issues. You can also check that problems are being dealt with and standards are being met.

To find out when the next walkabout is taking place in your area contact your Neighbourhood Officer.

Exchange your home with another customer

If you want to move to a council or housing association home in another council area, you have the right to exchange your home. You will need to find someone to exchange with.

You must have written permission from us to exchange your home. The person you want to exchange with must also have the written permission from their council or housing association. We will only refuse permission for certain reasons; for example, if we think that the home is too large or too small for the person who wants it.

Receive compensation for some improvements when you end your tenancy

If you have carried out any improvements to your home, you may be able to get compensation when the tenancy ends. Section nine in your tenancy agreement gives more information about this compensation. Ask at your to find out the types of improvements we will compensate you for.

Read information that we keep about you and your tenancy

As one of our customers, we hold information about you and your tenancy. You will have given us most of this information when you applied for a home.

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have the right to access your personal housing file where you can check the details to make sure that we have got it right. However, we are allowed to remove confidential documents from people outside the organisation, such as doctors or social workers.

If you are unhappy with a certain piece of information in your file, you should seek advice from the Data Protection Commissioner.

Be consulted

You have the right to be consulted and informed of any changes in the conditions of your tenancy or the way we manage your home. This includes improvements to your home, work planned for estates and changes to your tenancy agreement. This does not apply to rents and service charges, where we can alter these without consultation. However we do have to give you four weeks written notice of any change in rents or service charges.

We consult in a number of ways including through meetings, letters, Community Area Forums (CAFs), Focus Groups, Tenant and Member Panels and individual visits.

Receive information

We produce information on how well we look after your home, including collecting the rent, getting repairs done and allocation of homes. You have the right to see this information.

We tell you how we are doing in a number of ways. We display our performance figures on this site, in newsletters and in annual reports.

If you want to know more about how we make decisions on housing, you have the right to go to public meetings and the right to see minutes of meetings.